Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 16:21:54
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal appeals court judge has ruled to keep Sean “Diddy” Combs locked up while he makes a third bid for bail in his sex trafficking case,Burley Garcia which is slated to go to trial in May.
In a decision filed Friday, Circuit Judge William J. Nardini denied the hip-hop mogul’s immediate release from jail while a three-judge panel weighs his bail request.
Combs’ lawyers appealed to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Sept. 30 after two judges rejected his release.
Combs, 54, has been held at a federal jail in Brooklyn since his Sept. 16 arrest on charges that he used his “power and prestige” as a music star to induce female victims into drugged-up, elaborately produced sexual performances with male sex workers in events dubbed “Freak Offs.”
Combs has pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy and sex trafficking charges alleging he coerced and abused women for years with help from a network of associates and employees while silencing victims through blackmail and violence, including kidnapping, arson and physical beatings.
At a bail hearing three weeks ago, a judge rejected the defense’s $50 million bail proposal that would’ve allowed the “I’ll Be Missing You” singer to be placed under house arrest at his Florida mansion with GPS monitoring and strict limits on visitors.
Judge Andrew L. Carter Jr., who has since recused himself from the case, said that prosecutors had presented “clear and convincing evidence” that Combs is a danger to the community. He said “no condition or set of conditions” could guard against the risk of Combs obstructing the investigation or threatening or harming witnesses.
In their appeal, Combs’ lawyers argued that the judge had “endorsed the government’s exaggerated rhetoric” and ordered Combs detained for “purely speculative reasons.”
“Indeed, hardly a risk of flight, he is a 54-year-old father of seven, a U.S. citizen, an extraordinarily successful artist, businessman, and philanthropist, and one of the most recognizable people on earth,” the lawyers wrote.
Combs’ lawyers have not asked the new trial judge, Arun Subramanian, to consider releasing him on bail. At a hearing Thursday, as Combs sat alongside his lawyers in a beige jail jumpsuit, Subramanian suggested he would at least be open to taking up the issue.
After setting a May 5 trial date, Subramanian briefly questioned Combs’ lawyers about his treatment at the Metropolitan Detention Center, which has been plagued by violence and dysfunction for years.
Combs lawyer Mark Agnifilo, who had previously sought to have him moved to a jail in New Jersey, told the judge: “We’re making a go of the MDC. The MDC has been very responsive for us.”
Another Combs lawyer, Anthony Ricco, told reporters outside the courthouse afterward: “He’s doing fine. It’s a difficult circumstance. He’s making the best of the situation.”
But, Ricco said: “Nobody’s OK with staying in jail for now.”
veryGood! (4699)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Caitlin Clark passes Steph Curry for most 3s in a season as Iowa rips Penn State
- TikTok's latest 'husband' test is going viral. Experts say something darker is going on.
- Why Dwayne Johnson Is Rooting For Best Friend Emily Blunt and Oppenheimer at Oscars 2024
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Behind the scenes with the best supporting actress Oscar nominees ahead of the 2024 Academy Awards ceremony
- When and where can I see the total solar eclipse? What to know about the path of totality
- Eli Lilly's new ad says weight-loss drugs shouldn't be used out of vanity
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Broncos are sending receiver Jerry Jeudy to the Browns for two draft picks, AP sources say
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- 'Built by preppers for preppers': See this Wisconsin compound built for off-the-grid lifestyles
- New Jersey infant killed, parents injured in apparent attack by family dog, police say
- Judge tosses challenge of Arizona programs that teach non-English speaking students
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Patrick Mahomes' Brother Jackson Mahomes Sentenced to 6 Months Probation in Battery Case
- Man dead after being shot by police responding to reports of shots fired at Denver area hotel
- Don't Look Down and Miss Jennifer Lawrence's Delightfully Demure 2024 Oscars Look
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Man dead after being shot by police responding to reports of shots fired at Denver area hotel
You Need to See Liza Koshy Handle Her Red Carpet Tumble Like a Total Pro
Report and letter signed by ‘Opie’ attract auction interest ahead of Oscars
Sam Taylor
‘Oppenheimer’ set to overpower at the Oscars Sunday night
Dead man's body driven to bank and used to withdraw money, 2 Ohio women face charges
Great Barrier Reef undergoing mass coral bleaching event for 5th time in nearly a decade